2 dead and 8 injured in Virginia Beach oceanfront shootings, police say

Show Caption
Hide Caption

Police deal with multiple shooting crimes scenes in Virginia Beach

Police say eight people suffered gunshot wounds and were hospitalized with serious to life-threatening injuries.


Two people died and eight people were injured Friday in shootings during a “chaotic night” on the Virginia Beach oceanfront, authorities said.

Officers patrolling the resort area heard multiple gunshots around 11:20 p.m. Friday, the Virginia Beach Police Department said in a news release.

When officers arrived, they found eight people who had been shot and had serious to life-threatening injuries, and they were taken to the hospital, police said. A ninth person, a woman, died from a gunshot wound at the scene.

The second shooting happened as officers were investigating the initial scene. Shots rang out nearby, and an officer confronted a suspect and fatally shot him, police Chief Paul Neudigate said in a press conference.

That officer has not been identified and has been put on administrative assignment pending an investigation, per standard procedure, the department said. The officer has worked with the department for five years.

Meanwhile, an officer was also taken to the hospital with minor injuries after being hit by a vehicle during the investigation, Neudigate said.

“We have a very chaotic incident, a very chaotic night,” Neudigate told reporters.

Several people were detained but how they’re linked to the shooting remains under investigation, the chief said. No suspect information was immediately available. 

Two full blocks that made up a city owned parking lot remained blocked off by police tape on Saturday. Dozens of cars were inside the crime scene, with officers inspecting some of them. A couple of blocks away, a car that was surrounded by police tape sat in the middle of a street.

Akereia Drayton, who was still waiting to get her car from the lot on Saturday, told the Associated Press she was coming out of a club on Friday night after the shooting ended and saw “mass chaos” and many people running.

“People were literally falling over themselves,” Drayton said. “There was a mass swarm of people that came to get to their cars. And then there was a wreck.”

Kevin Robertson, who lives a few houses away from the parking lot, said he was on his porch when the shooting began. He said the gunfire lasted for what seemed like 15 minutes.

“There were definitely two or three guns,” he said, adding that he could hear gunshots coming from different areas outside of his house as time went on.

Bill Feis, who also lives a few houses away from the parking lot, said he was in bed and could hear people talking loudly before the shooting, which he said “sounded like someone threw a package of firecrackers.”

Contributing: The Associated Press


Leave a Reply